Rev. Andrew Tully, the sixth pastor, was a Scotchman also, and came to these parts by way of Canada. He was a brother of Rev. David Tully, at one time pastor at Belvidere and still living (1907) in his ninetieth year, and a nephew of the historic David Tully, who with his wife and youngest child was captured and murdered by the Indians while on their way from Winnipeg, Canada. The two older boys, John and Andrew, were saved by a squaw and rescued by troops at Fort Snelling. This Andrew and our pastor were first cousins.
Mr. Tully was a graduate of Lafayette College and Princeton Seminary, and when a student had spent much time in Mr. Love's family. He was called to Mt. Bethel, where he was greatly beloved, and thence to Harmony in 1854. He was a faithful, laborious pastor, and in his pastoral visits had a special faculty of drawing out the feelings of the younger members of the family and giving them needed spiritual advice and encouragement. Special services were held every Winter, on one occasion continuing several weeks, when he was assisted by many brethren, and resulted in a large ingathering of future supporters of the church. One of them, S. P. Love, son of the former pastor, was afterwards an elder in Mr. Tully's church in Portland, Pa.
The first parsonage was acquired when Mr. Tully came, the inconvenient one down by Holden's mill, which was afterwards changed for the dear old parsonage behind the hill, where we have welcomed pastors and their families and had such happy social times. The church was completely renovated, and under Mr. Tully's supervision was beautifully and tastefully done. Every part harmonized. With new carpet and pulpit furniture it was a very neat church. After leaving Harmony, in 1861, Mr. Tully preached at Morrisville, Pa., then at Beemerville, N.J. His closing ministry was at Portland, Pa., where he was very happy and useful and much loved by his people. His wife was Miss Susan Coolbaugh, who was always popular with the people. The son, Abram Coolbaugh Tully, is living in New York City, and the daughter, Mrs. Kate Dunning, with her interesting family, resides at Deckertown, N.J. The remains of Mr. Carrell and Mr. Tully, with their wives, rest in Easton cemetery.
Rev. David Kerr Freeman, the seventh pastor, was called with great unanimity and was ordained in this church and installed December 13, 1862. Mr. Freeman was a native of Blairstown, educated at Blair Hall, Lafayette College, and Danville Theological Seminary, having studied law under Jehiel G. Shipman, Esq., a year before entering the Seminary; and on leaving it, at the beginning of the Civil War, spent a few months preaching in Louisiana. He took a lively interest in the work of the Ladies' Aid for the Sick and Wounded. Mrs. Love was president of that society and Mrs. Joseph Miller, Secretary. The pastor was always at the meetings held in the parsonage, though not yet an occupant, to help and encourage. Ever the most genial of men, Mr. Freeman gained the hearts of his people and is still remembered with pleasure. The congregation was then, perhaps, in its most flourishing state. The farming community was at its height of prosperity, and the church had not then begun to suffer by death and removal of families. The salary was increased several hundred dollars. A large Bible Class was one of the features of this pastorate and there was a special ingathering, when many young people came into the church.
Mr. Freeman made a strong effort to have the church building remodeled, but the time had not yet come. The tie lot was acquired and sheds erected. Heretofore there were "tie posts" up and down the road. The pastor tied under the big tree by the church. There was a long row of horses and carriages, and it was very dangerous on dark nights, and on a funeral occasion the teacher, on opening the schoolhouse door, found a horse tied to the door knob.
Mr. Freeman was called from here to Mendham, N.J., in 1869, and he accepted the call. From Mendham he went to the Washburn Street Church, Scranton, Pa. When there he was honored with the degree of D.D. He was called from Scranton to Huntingdon, Pa., where he spent the last quarter of a century of his ministry, greatly honored and beloved by his people and brethren. Dr. Freeman became a great student of ecclesiastical history and a strong doctrinal preacher. He loved the Presbyterian Church and stood firm as a rock on its teachings. He died at Huntingdon June 10th of this year (1907) a short time before the twenty-fifth anniversary of his pastorate there, for which he was preparing. Dr. Freeman married Miss Henrietta Wildrich, of Blairstown, who was the first pastor's bride at the Harmony parsonage. She was very much loved here and elsewhere, especially at Huntingdon. Mrs. Freeman, with two daughters and a son, Dr. Henry Freeman, are living. You remember "Cordie," now a talented and cultivated singer, also Annie, now Mrs. Reed, of Philadelphia, all children of the parsonage. One daughter, Belle, died in childhood. (We are sorry not to give Dr. Freeman's photograph as he was in the days of his pastorate, but all will enjoy seeing him as he was in later years.)
Rev. Henry Egidius Spayd, the eighth pastor, came in 1870 and was here fourteen years. It is pleasant to speak of Mr. Spayd's earnestness and devotion to duty. His sermons were practical and full of Christ crucified, and his daily life was an incentive to higher, holier living. Mr. Spayd was a grandson of the Rev. Dr. Bibighaus, of the Reformed Church, a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of Lafayette College and Princeton Seminary. He married Miss Sarah Barnes, of easton, and had been pastor fourteen years of the old Solebury church, now Thompson Memorial, Bucks county, Pa. He was called to Harmony from Strasburg, Pa., where he had been three years. Pastoral visits were faithfully made. The Week of Prayer always observed and special services held every Winter, neighboring pastors and others assisting, and some times, evangelists. Several seasons of revival were enjoyed. Bible Class was held the year round. In Winter the class went from house to house. Land was purchased and the cemetery, which had become crowded and was illy kept, was enlarged during Mr. Spayd's pastorate. Cemetery trustees were appointed and the ground was divided in plots, which were sold. We think no other pastor loved the parsonage behind the hill as well as Mr. Spayd. It became home to him and it was his delight to care for it. The pastorate had been long and the church during this time arrived at its highest membership. In April, 1876, there were 270 communicants on the roll and the benevolences of the church had greatly increased. Mr. Spayd was one who observed the Bible rule of giving. But the church began to suffer by deaths and removals. The farmhouses, occupied for generations by church-going and supporting people, passed into the hands of others, and it was no longer possible to keep up the salary to the standard adopted in Mr. Freeman's time. Mr. Spayd resigned the charge, preaching his last sermon August 3, 1884. He removed to Easton and preached very acceptably at Delaware Station for a time, then went to Wilkesbarre and served the Plains church for twenty-two years. On the fiftieth anniversary of his ministry he was highly honored by his brethren of Lackawanna Presbytery. A reception was given him and Mrs. Spayd and resolutions of esteem and appreciation were passed by Presbytery. Faithful and active to the last, he triumphed over the frail, warn out body and literally died in harness September 19, 1906, on the Sabbath he had expected to preach his farewell sermon and resign his active ministry.
Woman's Work for Women was organized during Mr. Spayd's ministry. Mrs. Spayd was very valuable help, directing and guiding us and doing a large share of work herself. Her large Bible Class of young ladies were her faithful assistants.
Rev. Roderick Provost Cobb, the ninth pastor, came in the Spring of 1885. He was born in Virginia, educated at Franklin and Mashall College, Lancaster, Pa., and was still in the Theological Seminary at Princeton when called here. There had been several months of supplies and candidates and discouragements, but the people united and the call was unanimous. Mr. Cobb came to us with all the energy and enthusiasm of youth and the desire to be a faithful servant of his Master. He was ordained and installed by the Presbytery of Newton on a beautiful afternoon May 19, 1885. His pastor, Rev. James Y. Mitchell, of Lancaster, preached the sermon and made the ordaining prayer. It was a solemn, impressive service. The church was filled with brethren of the Presbytery, the entire congregation and many from neighboring churches. Mr. Spayd assisted in the ordination rites of his successor. The advent of the young enthusiastic pastor inspired the congregation with new life and energy. His plain and earnest preaching, his sociability and general lovable qualities drew the people to him. Sabbath congregations increased, Sunday School flourished and the Woman's Missionary Society held bravely on its way, in fact began to stir up things as well as talk about them. The suggestion, that "we ought to do something for our church," met with immediate response. Plans were laid for work and pledges made, in addition to mission work. The old church was in a very dilapidated condition though it had been repaired in Mr. Spayd's pastorate. Mr. Cobb preached a strong sermon he had for some time been contemplating, and under his inspiration and encouragement and the cooperation of the people the work began and progressed in earnest. A congregational meeting was called and it was voted to build an entire new church on the ground where the new school building now stands. The building committee appointed was composed of Samuel A. Depue, chairman; Mathias Brakeley, George G. DeWitt, Charles Ramsay, treasurer; Irwin Miller, Peter Kline and John Calvin Amey.
The older members could not desert this old consecrated site and it was thought the old building, if left standing, would become an eye sore. Consequently at the next meeting the vote was reconsidered and it was decided to take down the old church in part and rebuild it as we have it now. We held a "farewell service" on the Sabbath afternoon previous to its dismantling. On the front of the pulpit was the text, "I have fought a good fight * * * I have kept the faith," which Rev. Mr. Long, of the Greenwich Mother Church, made the basis of his remarks.
The corner stone of the new building, containing church and Sunday School records, a pocket Bible and the newspapers of the day, was laid by the pastor on a beautiful Summer afternoon (we have not the date), Rev. Mr. Bruen, of Belvidere, and other ministers taking part in the exercises. Many of us, and especially the pastor, were disappointed that the new building was not a modern one, but when it was complete and the bell rang out its call for worship there was great joy and thankfulness. It was dedicated December 15, 1886. Rev. Franklin Miller, of Easton First Church, preached the sermon; Rev. Mr. Cobb, the pastor, made the dedicatory prayer; Rev. Thomas S. Long, just then leaving Greenwich, took part in the services; also Rev. Messrs. Cline, Thomson, Hutchinson, Seelye and Apgar. A cottage organ was presented to the church on that day by Mr. Henry Teel, who returned to us from Stewartsville church, where the family had worshiped for many years. Miss Anna Teel gave the pulpit Bible and pulpit lamp and Mrs. Elizabeth Miller the hymn book. Mr. Depue, in his report, paid noble tribute to the pastor, who "by his prudence, fidelity and zeal, had been largely instrumental in the success of the enterprise." The entire cost of the building was $8,170. Of this amount the ladies raised $454.27, purchasing the pulpit furniture, chandelier and carpet, and afterwards raised additional money for blinds and matting in the Sunday School room and furnishing the church kitchen. Then came the fulfillment of the promise, "Bring ye all the tithes into the store house, and I will pour you out a blessing." In connection with neighboring churches, notably Belvidere, a season of spiritual refreshing was experienced and at the close of the interesting special services, conducted almost entirely by the pastor, a large number were added to the church. Mr. Cobb's mother had presided over the parsonage and was highly esteemed by all. Just before the dedication of the church the pastor brought his bride, who was MIss Annie Stewart, of York, Pa. Mrs. Cobb was of a superior Presbyterian family of church workers and at once entered into our life and work. She was a fine pianist and cultivated singer, and also played the guitar. She established a Woman's Prayer Meeting and sealed lips were opened, and also organized the "Earning Workers' Mission Band."
This pleasant, helpful pastorate came to a close all too soon. Mr. Cobb, being called to Merchantville, N.J., resigned the charge in the Spring of 1888. In his closing sermon, from the text Phil. 4:1, he remarked that "The spirit of harmony had never been violated since he came to this place. No communion season had passed without additions to the church membership, eighty-three in all. There had been raised and reported to Presbytery $12,000, and there had been a steady increase in benevolent contributions." They have one son, Randolph.
Mr. Cobb had a successful ministry at Merchantville. His views changing, he entered the Episcopal Church. In his parishes at Crosswicks and Rahway, N.J., Troy, N.Y., and at Doylestown, Pa., he has shown the same zeal and devotion that characterized his Harmony pastorate. We are pained to learn of his severe illness, preventing his taking part in this anniversary.
Rev. Isaac Davison Decker, the tenth pastor, was called in 1888, after only a few months vacancy. He was a graduate of Blair Hall, Princeton College and Seminary, and came to us from his first pastorate, Fairview, Butler county, Pa. He was a man of ability, scholarly attainments and earnestness of purpose and had fine social qualities. We had a "Literary" and a paper, "The Wreath," edited by Mr. Decker and read by him at our meetings. We recall "The Blueny Hen," an original poem; "Moses" calling up the dead on tours of observation and reflection and very much more. The mid-week prayer meetings were well attended, interesting and profitable, also the special Winter services. Mr. Decker was a fine bass singer and could play the organ if need be. He suffered a great bereavement in the death of his dear wife, who was Miss Kate Goble, of Fredon, Sussex county. She was suddenly taken from him, and we shared deeply in his grief. She was his great encouragement and help, and our respected Missionary President. Then Mr. Decker's mother was taken away and the parsonage was desolate indeed. He was called in the Spring of 1893 to West Sunbury, Pa., near his first charge, and suddenly died January 3, 1903. His second wife was Miss Adela Aggas, who, with two sons and a daughter, survive. His sister, "Miss Lyde," presided over his home until his second marriage. Rev. Mr. Leake preached for a time at Mt. Nebo, very near Mr. Decker's church. Soon after Mr. Decker left, my dear mother was called to "cross the bar" to the home above, and the little cottage on the corner, which had ever an open door and a cordial welcome for the pastor and his family, where so many conferences and pleasant socials were held, also numerous prayer and inquiry meetings, where numbers had given their hearts to Christ, where missionary meetings had been held monthly for years, before the rebuilding of the church with its accommodations, and oh, so much more of which we cannot speak--every room seems consecrated by prayer--this home was desolate and passed into the hands of strangers.
In connection with this home is the cherished memory of neighboring pastors, who in earlier years were its oft welcome guests, Revs. Candee and Clark, of Belvidere; Castner and McNair, of Washington; Junkin and Hand, of Greenwich; Gray, of Easton; Leslie Irwin, of the "Settlement" (Bath); Tully, then of Mt. Bethel; McWilliams, of Oxford, and the genial Jehiel Talmage.
Rev. Joseph D. Hillman, the eleventh pastor, was called in October, 1893, from a charge in New York State. He was a native of Nazareth, Pa., educated in the Moravian College and Seminary and a friend of Rev. Mr. Reinke, then at Greenwich. You are all better acquainted with Mr. Hillman's and the succeeding pastorates than myself. Soon after he came, the Ladies' Aid was formed and raised $1,000 for frescoing and repainting the church and making some alterations, rendering it much more attractive. Interesting services were held on the reopening of the edifice. Mrs. Hillman was the third bride at the parsonage, was very much loved by the people and very helpful. She formed a Christian Endeavor Society, which continued for some time with much interest. They have one daughter, Jessie, a child of the old parsonage. After a pleasant pastorate of more than seven years Mr. Hillman was called, in 1901, to Mt. Freeman, N.J., and recently to New Milford, Pa., where he succeeds Rev. Leo. R. Burrows, who had followed him at Harmony. Mr. Hillman is the only one of the former pastors who can be here on this occasion.
Rev. Leopold Reid Burrows, the twelfth pastor, was a Scotchman by birth. His father is a prominent minister in Hamilton, Bermuda. He was educated at Princeton College and Seminary and this was his first charge. He was ordained and installed pastor July 10, 1902. We have been told that Mr. Burrows was specially popular among the young people, that services were well attended, and that he was very faithful in pastoral visits, always having prayer and very attentive to the sick. When he resigned in October, 1904, he was presented with a purse of $58 by the young people, a token of their appreciation. His next charge was at New Milford, Pa., where he married and is now preaching at Nanticoke, Pa. Illness prevents his being here today.
Rev. Edward Snyder, the thirteenth pastor, was born in the Province of Ontario, Canada, and took his college course at Toronto and his theological course at Princeton. He and Rev. Mr. Cobb were classmates. Mr. Snyder married Miss Mary Dodd, a Canadian like himself. He was ordained by the Presbytery of New Brunswick and installed pastor of the Stockton Church in 1885. He served several church in the Synod of New York and was called here from North Hardyston, Sussex County, N.J., and installed April 6, 1905. Rev. Hugh Walker, of Greenwich, preached the sermon. Rev. J. C. Clyde, D.D., charged the people and Rev. E. C. Cline charged the pastor. It had long been felt that a manse more convenient to the church was needed. The old parsonage was needing repairs and was sold. When Mr. Snyder came it was decided to build. The lot chosen was a part of the land purchased by Rev. Mr. Love and so long occupied by his family. The new manse stands in close proximity to the home, for sixty years so closely identified with all the interests of this church. Services are well attended, the interest increasing. There are now 140 on the communicant roll. Sunday School is flourishing. The Bible Class, which has been a main feature, beginning with Mr. Leake's pastorate, is continued with interest and profit. Sabbath afternoon services are held at Brainard's where a union chapel has been built (Mr. Tully wanted a chapel there, predicting it would some day be a town) and at Roxburg. There was formerly preaching at Buttonwood Grove and also at Union Town, Squire Cline's neighborhood, and flourishing Sunday Schools at all these outlying points. There has been a marked improvement in the singing in Mr. Snyder's pastorate, chiefly, we are told through the efforts of Mr. Irwin Miller. Mrs. George Lommason is the faithful, capable organist. Other organists have been Maggie Cline, Anna (Cline) Fine, Mrs. Belle Amey, Freeman Weller, Edna (Cline) Tinsman and Mrs. Abram Raub.
Small legacies have been left t his church and cemetery by Peter DeWitt and James Goodwin, Miss Mary Fair and Mrs. Dr. G. H. Cline. "The Ladies' Aid," started anew in Mr. Hillman's time, have raised $1160.93. The new parsonage, including land, cost $2,800.